Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour

Years ago, when I was a nanny, I knew a little boy who thought that candles were romantic. Somewhere along the way, he'd come up with the notion that candlelight equaled romance. He wasn't sure exactly what romance was, but he was confident that it was a good thing. He was constantly asking to have "a romantic dinner" or "a romantic bath" or even "can we light the romantic candles while I play with my trucks?" Coming from a three year old, it was often hard not to laugh at these requests. However, I think he was perhaps a budding environmentalist.

Tonight, we are all supposed to turn out the lights (and light romantic candles?) from 8 to 9pm in support of Earth Hour. This is an international event created by the World Wildlife Fund to help remind people about the power (ha ha) of energy conservation. By turning off the lights (and maybe even appliances and electrical heating?) at 8pm in your time zone, this even creates a voluntary rolling blackout around the globe. If lots of people do it, it will save an impressive amount of energy (you can read about the specifics on their website) but more importantly it will raise awareness (sorry, but it is the best term here) about the impact made by individuals.

Of course many people will argue that there's no point to an event like this. "A single steel plant uses as much power as 27 million households! What's the point if we don't get the steel plants on board?!" (that's not a real quote and I'm making up the numbers) These are the same people who argue that there’s no point in fuel efficient cars because the space shuttle is so polluting. I refuse to give in to this type of logic. There is nothing I can do about steel plants or the space shuttle, but there is something I can do about my house tonight. Wouldn't it be a good thing if we all did this every week, or even, dare I say it, every night?

Therefore, I urge you to light a romantic candle, turn off the lights, and cuddle up to your sweetie/kitty/comfy chair tonight. You'll save a little energy, feel slightly better about yourself, and perhaps even sleep better than usual.

No comments: