Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The End and The Beginning

Summer has been so relaxing, so rejuvenating, and so simply glorious that I have been very much not wanting to see it come to an end. Sure, I've done quite a few errands, appointments, and house chores, but I've also spent a lot of time doing exactly as I please. Who wouldn't want to take a couple months off like this? Nevertheless, all good things must pass.

Yesterday I went to school for the very first time since went got out in June. I'm not actually required there for another week yet, but I prefer to ease into these things, and so I made a brief visit. I was pleased to note that my head did not explode as I walked through the doors. All that relaxation has worked its magic, and I really am somewhat prepared to get stuck in once more.

On the first day all I did was say "hello" to the office staff, pick up my keys, and head off to my classroom. It was a pleasant surprise to find that the custodians did not pile all my furniture into a leaning tower of horror (as they do some years when they clean the carpets). Everything was pushed to one side, but that was all. I did a little unpacking, and taking down of dust covers, but I only stayed for a couple of hours.

Today, I went and covered my bulletin boards with bright sari fabrics, and managed to not fall of the various precarious perches I used to do the job. Braving the spaghetti of cables and cords, I managed to set up one computer, but I still have seven more to go. I also ran out for lunch with a friend which seemed very decadent of us, but when we got back I saw that only an hour had passed. I am jealous of those people who always get an hour for lunch!

Tomorrow is more of the same. Bit by bit I'm getting closer to feeling comfortable about the start of the new year. I must confess that a small part of me is even finding a bit of that old enthusiasm, and hopefully that will carry me through.

No comments: