Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hey Pesto!

A very much belated second "thank you" to the lovely person who gave us the food processor for our wedding. I must admit that it's taken me until recently to become fully involved with the glories of the fabulous machine. M, with all his techie affinity, understands the complicated workings of the various blades and features. I, on the other hand, am still trying to figure out simple things like locking the safety lid. Nevertheless, I recently ventured into the realm of pesto.

Now I have to say that I've made pesto before. You can accomplish the task in a blender, but it is not any easy thing. You have to constantly mash around the nuts, basil, and cheese with a spoon to get them all to blend properly, and at the end, you still have a sort of chunky product. Pesto with the Cuisinart is a whole different story. Pop the afore mentioned items in the bowl, lock the lid, and add oil as you whiz away. Viola! Pesto!

I was amazed. It was so easy and quick to make the pesto that I decided to make hummus as well. A can of chickpeas, a little tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil, another whiz, and again practically instant food! This thing is addictive. Now I'm on the prowl for things I can whip up in the magic machine. I hear gazpacho is a good option, and it's supposed to be great for coleslaw too. There are just so many wonderful options. Now if you could just spare a moment to help me with this sticky safety lock?

No comments: