Thursday, March 22, 2007

Amazing Grace

Friends and family will tell you that I am a complete killjoy when it comes to the movies. I have never enjoyed horror, and in the last few years I've lost my taste for all but the most campy violence. I'm also not a huge fan of the really stupid releases (I know, I know, I sound like an Ohio farmwife), so going to the movies with me can be a bit of a challenge. Take the latest slate of currently showing at our local theater:

1. Zodiac (Ooo a movie about a serial killer. No thanks)
2. Wild Hogs (A Time Allen comedy about a biker gang. Ewww)
3. Ghost Rider (Nicholas Cage is a regular guy by day and a flaming skeleton at night.)
4. 300 (An ultra-violent and very poorly rated action flick. No thanks)
5. Norbit (Where can I even begin? This movie cost Eddie Murphy the Oscar. Think fat suits)

I could go on, but I'd rather spare you the entire list. In short, the regular theaters are full of violent, puerile pieces of you-know-what. The solution, you're thinking, is to go to the art houses, but that does not necessarily guarantee a good film. It can also be a challenge to get to an art house since they can't survive more than a few miles away from a university. That is why I was surprised and pleased to discover Amazing Grace at a nearby theater.

This movie is, first and foremost, not remotely stupid or puerile. It is the true story of William Wilberforce who campaigned for more than twenty years to abolish the British slave trade. The one complaint I read from a reviewer is one of the reasons I most like the movie. It does a very good job of being historically accurate. Wilberforce really was consumed by a desire to reform the various evils he saw in society, he really was good friends with England's youngest Prime Minister, Pitt, and he really did marry his wife after knowing her only a few days.

The sharp dialog during the parliamentary debate scenes is quite entertaining. The roles are well cast with actors you will recognize, but not often be able to place at first glance. Most importantly, it is satisfying to watch a true story in which someone did something right, made a serious change for the better, and still lived a long and happy life. There's also no a single potty joke in sight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The UK is celebrating 200 years since the abolition of Slavery in the UK, this year. As a child my mother used to do voluntary work showing people around the William Wilberforce house - his home converted to a museum. I went there as a child. I'm really looking forward to this film :-) Oddly enough it isnt yet released in the UK...