Thursday, August 14, 2008

Our Wedding

Not long after we got engaged, I was talking with our friends, J and T, about their wedding which took place a few years ago. I asked them how the day actually went from their perspective, and I was surprised to hear J (the man no less!) say something like "Oh it was perfect. It was absolutely the best day we could have had. The only problem with it is that it didn't last longer." I thought that was incredibly sweet, but how could a whole day be perfect? Especially with all the million pieces that need to come together for a wedding? Something has got to go wrong. There had to be stresses and difficulties right? Nevertheless, when our day came, I knew exactly what J was saying.

Our day felt perfect too. It really did. From the moment I got up to the moment we went to bed everything seemed to go smoothly. Breakfast with the girls was excellent, our hair and make-up experience was incredible (more on that later), and then there was the actual ceremony and reception. Honestly, I can't think of anything that actually bothered me or caused me to feel anxious. Everyone was so kind to us and so helpful that I really don't think I had a moments worry.

Just a few of the memorable moments were (in no particular order):

--- My little brother staying with me the night before to "protect my honor"
--- Eating tasty sushi lunch with my three lovely bride's maids
--- Seeing those beautiful flowers for the first time
--- Hearing the distant sound of "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Going to the Chapel"
--- Seeing all those handsome boys dressed up so beautifully in their tuxes
--- Walking around the corner with my parents to the sound of "Valkyries"
--- Seeing M at the end of the aisle
--- Two little flower girls with rosebud crowns
--- Seeing not one, but two brothers tearing up
--- The way elder niece read the poem
--- The rings, the words, the look on his face
--- Signing the certificate
--- The sun-washed image of all our family and friends
--- The first peep into the beautiful reception room that so many people helped to create
--- The simple, sweet, green-and-white cake with its serene wedding couple on top
--- Bubbles from all, but especially pesky brothers
--- Oh the toasts
--- Delicious food and everyone seated around us
--- Dancing with my dad, dancing with my brothers, dancing with everyone
--- Dancing the first dance, many middle dances, and the last dance with M
--- The classic British Taxi that took us away
--- The love, the elation, the excitement, the amazement that this was all really real

I would have married M in a courthouse in jeans and t-shirt if needed. I would have been happy just to have him. In the end, married is married no matter how you get there, and that is the part which is really important. However, the fact that we got to have our very own perfect day is something for which I will always be grateful. Reader, I married him. I actually did! Can you believe it?

No comments: