Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sleeping is Easy

In the before times, I used to be a picky sleeper. First, it had to be very dark. I couldn't stand the flickering of technology, the glow from a hall light, or even an overly bright clock face. I also wanted just the right combination of blankets, sheets, and pillow. How could a person sleep comfortably with the wrong kind of pillow? Then there was sound. Ambulances, the cat, and a snoring husband all had the potential to ruin a perfectly lovely sleep.

Now, however, things have changed. Sleep can be such the elusive unicorn that I will take it in almost any form. I can now sleep in chairs, on sofas, or in any sliver of space that happens to be available. Lights, sounds, lumps, and bumps all have little or no impact on my ability to snooze. Only the sounds of the baby have me instantly awake.

I'm not the only one. The other night M got into bed while I was still in the rocking chair feeding the baby. He said "goodnight" to us, laid his head down on the pillow, and was snoring in three minutes flat. Let's just hope that when the depravation is over, we can figure out how to sleep like normal people again.

1 comment:

Raymond said...

I enjoy the misspelling of "deprivation" (being deprived, not having enough) as "depravation" (being depraved, morally corrupt).

It is my understanding that the sleep deprivation is permanent. No matter the stage of life they are in, you will always worry about your children.