Monday, December 17, 2007

Here We Go A-Caroling

One of the best things for getting in the holiday spirit (in my opinion anyway) is Christmas music. No, no, I'm not talking about the horrible muzak versions of "Christmas favorites" that they pump into all the malls. I mean the real thing. This is the one time of year when I set aside my suspicion of things Christian, and give them credit for some really good music. In order to get the complete effect you have to sing the carols yourself.

Yesterday was my book club's annual holiday sing-along, and it was just as much fun as always. Luckily, one of our number plays the piano, so she provides us with a good supply of sing-able music. A few of the ladies (including the pianist) can actually sing. This is a good thing because it gives the rest of us a way to follow along without being too painful. I am, by no means, an accomplished singer, but it is still SUCH fun to go along with the old familiar carols. "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" is one of my favorites along with "Joy to the World" and "It Came upon a Midnight Clear." Many of the carols are too high for my one inch range, but I just drop out of the parts I can't hit.

Singing really is good for the soul, and everyone should get the chance to do it. I think it is a lot like dancing in that you have to get over being self-conscious in order to enjoy yourself. Even if you're not very good, beg the pardon of the person next to you, and sing away. Thanks very much to my book club ladies for putting up with me!

No comments: