Tuesday, February 26, 2008

2 Tiny Dresses and 1 Big Gown

During last week's mid-winter break, my friend K and I screwed up our courage and took FOUR little kids to a bridal salon. There was nothing for it, we had to choose flower girl dresses, and there was no easy way to do this without taking the flower girls and their siblings. Fortunately, these are four exceptional children, and the whole outing was a big success. There was much admiring of tulle, satin ribbons, sequins, and lace, and Small Niece was especially enamored of the available fashion choices. I did have to step in and assert some control over the process when it looked like she might ask for an all-white rose and sequin encrusted dress with spaghetti straps. Fortunately, she was quite willing to be swayed. We now have two absolutely adorable little pink and white dresses for two absolutely adorable little pink flower girls.

In addition to flower girls, we were also able to have K try on the bride's maid gown. Unfortunately, she had to try it on in brilliant Barbie pink which is really not a color I would associate with any of the maids. However, the fit of the gown looked absolutely beautiful on her. All three ladies have such nice figures that I may have to put pass out burlap sacks at the rehearsal dinner (just kidding!). Now that all three have ordered the gown, there is another thing I can tick off the "to-do" list. I can't wait to see the three of them all dressed up and ready to go.

At the same time, I was able to pick up my own gown from the alterations department. K bravely held on to all four children while I went back to try on the gown, and the reception I received upon coming out from behind the curtain was quite satisfying. I must say, even I (the self-critical one) thought I looked pretty darn nice. It was such a lucky thing that K was there because someone had to learn how to bustle and un-bustle me for the transition from ceremony to reception. I still need a few bits and pieces (shoes, hair decorations, did I mention shoes?), but it feels great to have the finished, fitted dress hanging in the closet at home. We are coming closer and closer to the point where I feel we have the essentials for the wedding. After that, anything else is just gravy.

No comments: