Friday, October 08, 2010

Travel Prep

I am officially beginning to freak out.  Our trip is just a few days away, and that means we have to face the realities of flying with an infant for TWENTY hours!  Usually I make a deal with myself that if I can't do anything to change a situation I might as well skip getting upset about it.  Somehow the zen approach just isn't working this time.  I feel like there is something I ought to be doing to prepare.  What can it be?  Then I go around and around trying to imagine the possibilities. 

Packing is another challenge.  I've accepted that we will not be going lightly now that we have the baby, but I'm still trying not to let it get too ridiculous.  M bought us two new hard-sided suitcases, so we have plenty of space, but the trick is not to exceed the weight limit.  Fortunately, we have access to a washer once we get there, so we don't have to pack too crazy much.  The part that's most confusing me is packing for the baby.

What does a baby really need for a long trip?  We use so many different toys, swings, bouncers, strollers, rockers, cribs, etc. during the course of our day that I can't quite imagine not having them.  However, we can't take it all, so we'll just have to make do.  I'm also trying to figure out which things need to come in our carry-on for the actual plane flight.  The only thing I'm sure of right now is the need for lots of diapers and changes of clothes.  If you've flown with an infant before, feel free to leave me your advice. 

No comments: