Monday, November 15, 2010

Baby's First Gymboree or Proof We are Yuppies

Yes, yes, I finally caved.  My PEPS group has been attending Gymboree baby classes for some time now, but Delphinium and I were in South Africa when it all began.  Now that we're back, we were invited to go along.  I had some qualms since I've always seen Gymboree as a silly activity for people who didn't know how to play with their own children.  However, peer pressure is large, so I bundled the baby into the car on a rainy afternoon, and we headed off to the class.

My first impression was not so good.  The circle of babies included ones as young as three months and as old as seven.  How much can a little baby get from a singing and movement class?  Then the shockingly young teachers (they seemed about fourteen but probably weren't) got things going with a welcome song.  For the next few minutes I was in agony.  The songs were beyond twee, and chatter from the teachers was irritating, and they had stupid names for the toys.  I love playing with my baby, but this was ridiculous. 

Then I noticed something.  Delphinium was having a ball.  She loved looking in the mirror on the floor.  She giggled and cooed for the clapping games, and she thought the "sensory time" was fascinating.  Even the parachute, which made other babies cry, was amazing.  "Aha!" I said to myself "this is one of those times when I need to get over myself!" and then I did.   We had a lovely time together, and I only winced a little when they brought out the "Gymbo" puppets. 

No comments: