Monday, October 03, 2011

School Search Part 2

School #4 was frightening.  I wanted not only to clutch my child and run, but also to grab up all those other poor children who actually had to attend.  People often say that they didn't like the "feel" of a place, and I used to think that was such a painfully non-specific way to describe things.  Now I understand.  Waves of depressing were practically rolling out the door.  For starters, this school is housed in strip mall right next to a Chinese restaurant.  This means that the whole place smells of eau de frying mixed with old pee.  Add to that the poorly groomed teachers, their poor English skills (native speakers all), the huge tvs in every room, and the general air of disorder and grubbiness, and it was just not a pretty picture.

I should have known from the very first since the lobby attendant called ahead in the classroom to let the teacher know we were coming (no other school did this).  The teacher then had a chance to get the children together and give the most impressive activity she could muster.  It was listening to a book on tape.  At the end of the book, one child tried to sing along to the final song and was told by the teacher to be quiet.  Did I mention the menu?  Ritz crackers and "froot" juice constituted most of the snacks.  I could go on for hours.  This is what is wrong with America. 

No comments: