Friday, August 17, 2012

Sandwich Ideas


We are still waiting to hear what restrictions our new school might place on nuts in lunches.  However, I'm pretty confident that peanut butter will not be allowed.  If we are lucky almond or sunflower butter will be okay.  It would be a big help to be able to pack almond butter and banana or jam sandwiches from time to time.  They are full of protein, and it's something I know she'll eat.  Still, there is a decent chance that no nuts or seeds will be allowed at all (it all depends on the allergies of current students).  Therefore, I've been asking anyone and everyone for alternatives to spread on the bread.  Here are a few of my favorite suggestions:

Bread (always whole wheat) + cream cheese (low-fat spread on both pieces of bread) + nearly any fruit or veggie your kid will eat

Bread + hummus + cheese + bell pepper + olives (optional)

Bread + pesto + cheese + tomato (separate container?)

Bread + eggs salad (keeping things very cold) 

Bread + butter + veggie deli slices + pickle + tomato

Given that she only goes to school two days per week, we should be in decent shape.  Nevertheless, any other great ideas would be much appreciated.  I don't want to be one of those moms who resorts to the same tired menu every single day of the week!

2 comments:

piyaf said...

I've tried apple butter and banana a couple times.

I'd love to hear some of the other ideas as I've recently been searching for alternatives - especially since my daughter eats the sandwich insides and leaves the bread.

A couple ideas I found that have stood out were more about the method of delivery and less about the ingredients...

1. Sandwich Kababs. Piece of bread on each end and your choice of protein, fruits and veggies. Though you do have to trust your kids with wooden skewers (unless you can find more kid-friendly ones) so I don't know if this may be a bit too early for you...

2. Sandwich Rolls. Some Lavash bread, your sandwich ingredients and roll it up.

I have also gotten my money's worth out of their thermoses sending them with soup or pasta quite often.

piyaf said...

Just did a quick search and alternative skewer stick ideas I found were coffee stirrers, popsicle sticks or mini straws.