Thursday, April 05, 2007

My Addiction

Every year my doctor requires a fasting blood draw (I guess she thinks I have interesting blood), and last week it was time once again to go under the needle. I don't really mind the sharp pointy part, but what I do mind is the fasting. I couldn't get an appointment until 10am, so I actually had to face the fact that there was not going to be any breakfast. Now I know what you may be thinking "I never eat breakfast! What's the big deal?" Or possibly "I never eat breakfast before 11am! What's the big deal?" The big deal is that I am very much a creature of habit. Doing things in a set way helps me to avoid forgetting important steps. Therefore, I always eat something before the day starts, and I (perhaps more importantly) I always have my cup of tea before doing anything remotely challenging.

This may, of course, be a caffeine addiction plain and simple. Comparatively speaking, there is not much caffeine in a single cup of black tea (or so I read), but perhaps it is enough to get my brain hooked. Either way, I was really feeling the lack as I got in my car to head down to the lab. My eyes felt dry, my stomach was very much empty, and I just didn't feel my usual self. I got down to my office, waited my turn, got the jab, and left the office all in a sort of daze (I'm not sure I should be driving on no breakfast). Then, oh wonder of wonders, I found a Tully's Coffee. An orange mocha and a raspberry oat bar never looked so good! That wonderful, steamy aroma! Remind me never to join one of those religions that requires fasting. I would never make it.

No comments: