Thursday, April 19, 2007

Stupid News for a Reason

Many people have marveled about our news watching priorities of late. Why do we pay so much attention to Senjaya, the real father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby, and German polar bears? Are we really that shallow? Do we have such a ridiculous sense of what is important? There are certainly bigger, more important, more serious stories out there, but they get little play in comparison.

I agree whole-heartedly that we ARE too obsessed with celebrity, and I also agree that we DO need a clear and balanced (not Fox) understanding of the news. However, I also think we need to cut people a little slack especially right now. The big important stories in the news are almost universally sad. If you spend too much time thinking about them, Virginia, Iraq, and news from Washington D.C. will get you down to the point that you might not be able to get out of bed. A little "fluffy" news seems like a relief in comparison. Excuse me; I have to go check to see if Brittany is wearing panties today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For FOX, and many other TV/Radio US News isn't about news, it's about entertainment. I stopped watching TV news (other than BBC world news broadcast on canadian public TV) when I can to the US because it is rarwely worthy of the title