Saturday, June 16, 2007

Blocking and Printing

Today has been all about the printing. I'm here in my dad's shop in Oregon, and we have been working hard all day. First I blocked and pin-holed screens, then we registered the screens on the press, and finally we played around with different ink colors. I mixed my very own not-quite-white, and it looks quite lovely if I do say so myself.

I am happy to discover that working in a print shop is very much like riding a bicycle in that you never forget how it's done. Of course, that is only true for your brain; your muscles tend to forget completely. When you go to print a t-shirt on a manual press, your fingers, arms, shoulders, and stomach muscles are all involved. These are all the places that hurt so far. Later I think my back and feet will get in on the act. Still, it's a tired soreness, not injury, so I can't really complain. I think I will skip all upper body weights at the gym this week.

Of the three designs we did this year for the fair, only the dragon has actually been printed so far. We did it as a four color with two greens, that custom off-white, and a metallic gold over print. I really am happy with the way it's turned out, and I think we might actually do well at the fair this year. I'm still waiting to see how the koi and the bicycle designs will look. I'm hoping to finish a total of eighteen dozen or there abouts.

Tomorrow, it's back to Seattle (providing I can move enough to drive). This week is the last full week of school, and then we have Monday of the following week. In only six more days, I'll be a free agent! A free agent with big muscles that is!

No comments: