Friday, June 08, 2007

Root-less (I hope)

Writing about the squash yesterday made me realize that I never followed up on the "ROOTS" post I did a few weeks ago. I know my regular readers have just been on the edges of their seats waiting to found out what happened! I'm sorry, I know the gardening posts may be a bit boring for most, but I know I have a few readers who can relate. I remember, several years ago, standing over a garden box and exclaiming over the tiny green shoots. The visitor did not understand my enthusiasm, and he said "isn't that what you expected them to do?" Well, yes, but it's still a thrilling process to watch if you ask me. Therefore...

We dug all the soil out of the box and put it on a tarp. Then we clipped all the tree roots we could find (don't worry, this isn't supposed to hurt the tree since it's already very well established). Next, we lined the box with many layers of newspaper. According to several online sources, newspaper is good because it prevents the tree from "smelling" the good soil and sending up roots. Paper is entirely biodegradable, and most papers use a soy-based ink. Of course, this solution will only last one or two seasons at best. However, I'm willing to give it a try. We put all the soil back in the box and even added some rotted steer manure.

Now the garden is beginning to look like a garden instead of a sandbox. We have three tomato plants at one end (Brandy-Wine, Early Girl, and a new one supposedly bred for Mongolia), radish sprouts, red onions, and the first little nubs of salad lettuce. In the side yard are pumpkins, the famous gem squash, peas, eggplant, zucchini, crook-necked squash, and all the herbs. I still have to plant the corn which are going in the side bed along the street. We shall see if the HOA harpies have anything to say about that. I will bat my eyes and say "My yard IS maintained just like it says in the rules. I just happen to enjoy planting crops in with the shrubbery!" Wish me luck.

No comments: