Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oh Happy, Snowy Day!

11pm (last night) --- there was no snow on the ground, and no news of any school delays. It seemed that the weather people were in need of firing as their "100% chance of snow" turned out to be nothing at all.

5am (this morning) --- I happened to wake up (you never sleep soundly on a potential snow day) and look out the window. Only a tiny dusting of snow. I also looked at the district website, and found no news of delays.

5:30am --- The call from the phone tree assured me that we would, in fact, have a two-hour delay. Looking out the window there was a little more snow, but nothing that would make much of an impact.

6:20am --- Another call from the phone tree, and we were cancelled for the day. Looking out the window this time, and it was easy to see why they made the call.

10:21am --- I'm still in my jammies, and a beautiful winter scene is playing out outside the window. The snow is probably up to about 2 or 3 inches, and it is still falling thick and fast. The tiny, grainy flakes we had earlier have given way to fatter, fluffier ones, and my desire for real winter weather is slaked at last. After finishing my leisurely tea and blogging session, I think I will put on my marshmallow coat, and go for a walk to enjoy the scenery. All those prayers to the gods of winter must not have gone unheard after all.

No comments: