Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye 2008

What a year it's been!

On a national level this has been a very mixed twelve months with many ups and downs. For the first time in a long time, I feel like there might be hope for us as a country. Our economy is in tatters, but at least 50% of the country cared enough to vote for something different. I sincerely hope we're not too late.

Professionally, well, one just keeps on keeping on (if you know what I mean). It's hard to think in calendar years when you're on an academic schedule, but I realized that the whole bad business of the last school year really only happened in spring of 2008. I'm happy to say that things have largely died down. This is partly because feelings have actually cooled, and partly because I avoid putting myself in certain situations and interacting with certain people. Three things I am learning to keep: a low profile, my door closed, and my mouth shut. Work life may not always be this way, and for now at least I have achieved a tenuous peace.

Luckily, at the same time that work has been less than fun, I've had many events at home to be thrilled about. On a personal level it's simply been a wonderful year. Planning our wedding was fantastic, frustrating, exhilarating, and exhausting. Actually having the wedding was pure happiness. Married life has been a very enjoyable experience (oh Costa Rica!), and I'm really looking forward to many more years. One more heartfelt thanks to all our family and friends who've helped us out in so many different ways.

And so goodbye to 2008! I hope your year was at least good and possibly even great. I hope that next year treats you at least as well and possibly even better. New Year’s resolutions to follow in the new year.

No comments: