Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Art of Sleep: Three Months

Sleep is the big topic of conversation around our house these days. This is nothing new since we've been chasing after it, cursing the lack of it, and trying to be more comfortable with it since Delphinium was born. However, recently something exciting has occurred. This milestone was when the baby fell asleep in her swing a few days ago.

It was a complete surprise. I'm so used to soothing her down with nursing or rocking or bouncing that I had no expectation of her falling asleep on her own. Yet there she was, snoozing away as happy as can be. In an instant I was well and truly conflicted. On the one hand, I was thrilled by her development and what this might mean for the ease of future naps. On the other hand she did it without me. I know it's supposed to go this way, but sometimes it's hard to realize she will need me a little bit less every day.

No comments: