Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Walker

While in South Africa, the baby made the acquaintance of that wonderful invention known as the walker. Not the kind your grandmother used in her later years, but the ring with wheels and a seat for babies who are too young to walk on their own. She was a little hesitant at first getting her feet under her and learning to push off. For one who afternoon she could only go backwards and very, very slowly at that. Soon enough she was exploring granny's house and patio and generally having a ball with all that new-found independence. When we left that thing behind (it was only borrowed) it was with more than one backward glance.

That is why, when we got home again, I knew we had to get our own walker. At first I thought we might not be able to get one at all since I knew they were frowned upon by the medical establishment (it seems that some people do not realize the damage a baby can do if they go over an edge). However, we soon spotted one in our favorite baby store, and I was happy to see that it was not a relic from the '80's. It seems that walkers are still sold in the U.S. with just a few modifications to make them safer.

Once we got the thing home I did have a quiver of doubt. The fixed back wheels made it purposefully clunky so that babies are not as maneuverable as they were in the old version which moved like a nimble office chair. I shouldn't have worried. Within a very short time Delphinium was racing around our family room (properly cordoned off so she won't escape) with all the finesse of a racing driver. Not only is she fast, but she can avoid obstacles, correct her course before she gets stuck, and even reverse on a dime.

Now she chases us around. When I'm cooking she often comes into the kitchen to see what I'm doing. She does not hesitate to roll right over your toes in her desire to get right up to the action. On more than one occasion she's run up behind me and grabbed the ties on my apron as a means of getting my attention. She also likes to "help" with unloading the dishwasher. Luckily there are many fascinating things for a baby to do when she's so mobile, so she often has to race off and inspect the kitty or wave at herself in the glass door of the oven. I'm not sure how long the joy of the walker can last, but it stays fun for a while yet.

1 comment:

Raymond said...

The joy captured in today's entry makes me weep with delight.