Wednesday, June 21, 2006

How I Live Now

I try not to spend too much time on book reviews because I could probably write a whole blog on the subject. However, when I run across a really GOOD book I feel compelled to say something. My really good book this time is called How I Live Now by Meg Rossoff. I would not suggest anyone read this book aloud to their ten year-old, but for teens and adults it's a GREAT read. The story is about an emotionally troubled girl from New York who finds solace by visiting her cousins in the English countryside. Sounds idyllic and sweet, and it is, but it stops being a children's book when the girl falls for one cousin, and an unnamed enemy invades the country. Normally I am not a huge fan of the whole "lovers divided by a horrible war" storyline, but here it is compelling and actually bittersweet. This is not a cheerful "beach read" type of book, but it is definitely worth a look.

No comments: