Friday, February 23, 2007

Snow Drops

Hooray! There are Snowdrops blooming in our front yard! I thought for sure that the squirrel had eaten all of them just after planting in the fall. However, low and behold, several came up! I'm so happy to see them. They are such perfect little white bells, and it almost seems a shame that they aren't blooming through the snow. It's proof that spring is out there somewhere.
I was also very happy to see a little patch of irises begining to bloom under our Japanese maple. M said they were there, but I couldn't for the life of me remember having planted them. They certainly weren't there last year. Then I remembered having a pot of irises on my desk at school. When they were finished blooming I couldn't bare to throw away the healthy plants, so I took them home and poked them into the ground. I guess they liked the spot just fine, and now we have beautiful little mini-irises.
Last, but not least, are the bulbs that show promise, but have no flowers as yet. The crocus I planted in the fall ALL came up. I think there must be something about them that squirrels don't like because these didn't even get disturbed let alone eaten. The daffodils were all dug up and thrown around several times, but I kept putting them back. I think most all of them are now sprouting including the one that lay on top of the ground all through the snow and ice, and even sprouted some nice green leaves before I noticed it. All in all, the future looks good for spring flowers. Now if we can just get through the end of winter without another snowstorm...

No comments: