Friday, February 16, 2007

Soothing Soup

I started to feel sick on Valentine's Day. It made for a really romantic evening:

"Hi Honey! (SNEEZE!) How nice to see you (SNEEZE!). Come and have some of this dinner I've made for you (SNEEZE!). What a lovely present! Thank you. (SNEEZE! COUGH! SNIFF!)"

I tried to take the next day off of work, but there were no extra subs, so I had to go in anyway. It was the LONGEST day of the whole year. I put in for a sub before I'd even gone home. By the time I got home I had such chills that I was shaking. M brought me medicine and tissues (with lotion!) and some nice little bits and pieces. I went to bed at 8pm and did not get up until 9am the next morning. Today was very quiet. I still have some fever, but the chills are gone and my bones don't hurt anymore.

M is out tonight, so I needed to think of something that might actually sound good for dinner. My mom always used to make soups for us when we were sick, and this is sort of an approximation of one of her soups. It does have a decidedly hippie element with the brewers' yeast, but it melts in and gives a nice depth of flavor (and lots of good B vitamins). Amounts are for one large serving but double or triple nicely.

Vegan Onion Soup
1 onion per person
1 tbs olive oil
1 sprig thyme
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
1 tbs miso or soy sauce
1-2 tbs brewers yeast
opt. black pepper
Slice and saute the onion in the olive oil. When the onion is brow (but not burned!) deglaze the pan with stock. Add the thyme. Simmer for at least 30 minutes (more if you have time). When the onions are falling apart, take from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add miso or soy sauce and brewers' yeast. Stir until combined, ladle into bowl or mug, add a good hearty bread if desired. Feel better soon.

No comments: