Thursday, March 06, 2008

Big Kids Little Kids Everywhere Kids

The sunshine pouring in at the window is making me nostalgic for the mid-winter break we had last month. It was sunny that whole week, and I had the two nieces almost the entire time. We did all sorts of fun things, and one day we even asked two of my little friends to join us. That made FOUR kids all running around together.

Rather than being a difficult time, all the kids were on their best behavior. I was deeply impressed by the effect that the little kids (2 and 4) had on the big kids (7 and 9). As soon as the younger kids arrived, the nieces stopped any hint of arguing and went into role-model mode. They were polite, helpful, and quite touchingly concerned about the well-being and happiness of the smaller fry. When we went to the park, everyone had a buddy, and I kept having to remind Small Niece that she did not actually have to carry her buddy around. Later, when we enjoyed a little time with sidewalk chalk, both bigger girls went out of their way to share colors and keep an eye out for cars.

I don't know if this experience was just a fluke or not. If you have lots of kids do they just naturally shift into a more responsible mode? I do vaguely remember noticing this effect years ago when I was a nanny, so it isn't just this one group of kids. Perhaps we are hardwired to enjoy being in a group? Somewhere, deep down inside, maybe we know that if we don't get along we might end up getting left behind as lion fodder. What ever the reason, I love the effect it has on kid behavior.

No comments: