Monday, March 03, 2008

Registering

I guess I've always had the vague notion that registering for wedding presents would be fun. However, it is quite a different experience from anything I had envisioned. Usually when you go shopping, you have only one or two objects in mind. You make comparisons, look at prices, and then choose the items that seem right for you.

When doing a registry, on the other hand, you have to make dozens of choices one right after the other. We did do some research before we set out, but it was still much more of a mental workout than I'd guessed. By the time we had about forty things on our list, we were both completely exhausted and just wanted to head home. Now I understand why wedding registries sometimes include items that do not seem to fit with the personality of the couple. After a few hours with that little scanner a marble cheese board with brass cat handles and a silver mouse slicer probably seems like a great idea.

No comments: