Friday, March 14, 2008

The Skillful Florist

Warning! Boring wedding planning entry ahead! Proceed with caution!

Wedding planning has been, among other things, an interesting look into a service industry. Some of these people just assume that you have no clue what you want, and they proceed to tell you exactly which one to pick, how many you will need, and what color is hot this season. The idea that you might not need or want their chosen item never seems to enter their heads.

On the opposite end of things are the people who don't want to be too pushy (or don't want to be blamed for bad choices) so they just refuse to offer any help/support/opinion at all. "Tell me exactly what you want and I will get it for you" is their motto, but sometimes it's not very helpful because you actually DO need a professional opinion. This is why meeting our chosen florist was such a treat.

Fena Florist was recommended by a co-worker at school whose daughter used them for her wedding. I made an appointment for a weekend morning, brought along my mom and Big Niece, and held my breath about what kind of service I might get. I had a pretty good idea in my head of what I wanted, but I had not been able to find many good pictures from magazines or the internet.

Our florist started out by looking at the pictures I did have and listening to my feeble descriptions. Then she had us look at books of flowers to find things that had the right colors or textures. Finally, she brought out a huge range of flowers in roughly the right colors, and we went through deciding which would be included. She had great advice about color, texture, and design. In the end, I felt like the choices were still mine, but I was much more confident that it would all turn out well. Best of all, the prices did not put me over budget.

All in all, I was very satisfied with this experience. If only the cake guy, the jewelry lady, and the dress ladies could have been so helpful yet not pushy. I can't wait to see how these flowers will turn out. One more thing checked off the list!

No comments: