Friday, September 12, 2008

Signs of Autumn

The weather has been so beautiful of late that I can't help but blog about it a little. Right now, outside my window, the sun is producing that incredible golden light that you sometimes get at this time of year. The sky is a perfect, clear blue, and I can't see a cloud in the proverbial sky. Best of all, the temperature has been in the 70-75 range for several days. Absolutely wonderful. I just snuck out on my prep time to take a few turns around the track. Who could resist on a day like today? Fingers crossed that it lasts a while longer.

Nevertheless, there are certain signs of fall in the air. Last week, on the first day of school, a thick blanket of mist covered our neighborhood as I left for work. You could certainly tell that the sun would win out later in the day, but for that moment, there was a definite edge of something colder in the air. I'm ashamed to admit that I actually had to turn on the car's heater because I was wearing a light, summer skirt and sandals.

The days are also getting noticeably shorter. If I want to take a walk before dark, I pretty much have to do it on my own. If I wait for M to arrive, it is usually during blue twilight. All too soon, daylight savings will bring home that point all the more forcefully. Add to all this the pumpkins and chrysanthemums in the stores, the overflowing farm stands, and the return to school, and you have sure proof of the end of summer. This is not necessarily a bad thing since autumn has some very nice feature too. However, if it could just remain a sunny fall...

No comments: