Monday, October 13, 2008

Grave Disappointment

There are so many parts of the presidential election that I should be blogging. The one-liners from Palin alone would make for daily entries. However, I find myself too anxious about things to want to write much about it. My heart has been in my throat for months now, and I don't think that will get any better until after the election is over. The stakes are SO high this round (I didn't think they could be higher than last time, but they are) and jury still out on who will win. Nevertheless, I had to comment on one thing.

During the vice-presidential debate, I was very happy to see how well Joe Biden presented himself. He was knowledgeable, down to earth, and even likable. In that sense, the debate went well for our side. Still, one statement Biden made really hurt my impression of him, of Obama, and of the Democratic Party platform.

When asked about the issue of gay marriage, Biden dissembled. He said (to paraphrase) that both he and Obama support all the rights of a civil union, but that "marriage" was a "religious" matter and he/they would not use that word. When I got married, I had to get a MARRIAGE license from the government. I had to get an approved official (it certainly didn't have to be a priest/rabbi/etc) to make my MARRIAGE official. Afterwards, I was able to order a copy of my official MARRIAGE certificate from the state government. Saying that marriage is a purely religious event is not only patently ridiculous, but it also steals the significance of secular marriages like my own. In short, I am pissed six ways to Sunday! What a massive cop out.

In another era, liberals took a stand (sometimes an unpopular one) about racial inequality, and it was, without a doubt, the right thing to do. I see this situation in much the same light, but this time Democrats are trying to straddle the proverbial fence. Gay rights is THE civil rights issue of our era, and it amazes me that the supposedly liberal party is not standing up and making a strong statement in support. I am so disappointed with my party. Once again, I am reminded of the fact that my vote in November will be one against McCain but not really for Obama.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That bothered me too. I didn't like his use of the word religious.

But with stakes this high, I don't blame liberals for not pushing the gay issue. I can see how they want to get us in office first, then push the issue from there later on. Not the gutsiest move, but maybe necessary with the way the country is going downhill right now.