Friday, October 17, 2008

Nieces Go to the Symphony

I was so proud the other night that I might have burst. Some of our usual symphony crowd were not around for the first performance of the season, and they had kindly offered their season tickets to anyone we wanted to bring. Therefore, with much anxiety and trepidation, we offered to let both nieces attend the concert. Now Elder Niece (I can't really call them big and small anymore since they are both quite big at this point) has been to the symphony before. She behaved well, other people did not, and it was a mixed experience over all. Even so, Elder niece LOVED the music and has wanted to go back ever since.

Younger Niece, like so many younger siblings, really wants to prove that she can be just as mature and grown up as her sister. She also does not want to miss out on anything that might possibly be described as fun. We warned her and warned her that the symphony was hard going and that, in the words of Grandma, "lots of adults have trouble sitting still that long." Younger Niece remained undaunted and assured everyone that she would be as still and quiet as a statue.

Thus it was that we found ourselves in front of Benaroya Hall. Elder Niece was very elegant in slacks and a gold satin blouse, while Younger Niece was quite lovely in a red gown with black velvet ribbons. The usher was very kind as he welcomed them to the show, and then we were off to find our seats. A few people in the row behind us gave looks of utter disgust to see children at the symphony, but luckily, I don't think the nieces noticed. We were careful to arrange children and gown-ups so as to avoid conflict between siblings. Then the music began. I waited with baited breath. Would they misbehave? Would they talk or snuffle or tap their feet?

The results were quite impressive. With one or two reminders about tiny things (crinkling the program for example) they were in great shape. I would say that the behaved better than many of the other people who were sitting around us. At one point, I was just about to lean over and ask Younger Niece to be quiet, and then I realized that it was actually the middle-aged woman behind her making the noise! After the music ended, and people were getting up to go, the man behind us leaned down to compliment Younger Niece on her excellent behavior: "You did better than I did!" This made her smile at the floor, and mutter "thank you."

On the whole, I was very pleased with this symphony experience. I won't be buying the nieces season tickets, but I will feel comfortable taking them along a couple times a year. This also gives me the confidence to take them to other kinds of performances too. Given that Elder Niece likes "the clashing banging music" best, I'm wondering what she will review something like the Phantom of the Opera or Swan Lake. As they get older, it's fascinating to watch them develop a sense of self and of personal taste about all kinds of different things. One day they're telling you about their favorite stuffed animal, and then suddenly they're explaining why Mozart is better than Tchaikovsky. Amazing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have problems staying still that long... Kudos to the nieces.

Anonymous said...

Can we take them to the Nutcracker? I haven't been in, like, forever and, like, it'd be really cool to go with the nieces I think.

Anonymous said...

Glad the tickets went to such worthy attendees!

Anonymous said...

stayed still that long and didn't fall asleep? better than I generally do :)