Friday, May 06, 2011

International Food Month: Libyan

We started out with the country most in the news when we made the actual list. I confess that I know almost nothing about Libya beyond what makes the headlines. After some research I found that Libyan food seems to be a cross between Middle Eastern and African traditions with a smattering of the Med. thrown in as well. It's a place with so much history, and that means all kinds of food customs too.

Of course all the lamb and mutton recipes were out since we're vegetarian, but I did settle on a lovely lentil salad and summer soup. For the salad, I combined several on-line and book recipes to create one that worked with the ingredients I had on hand. No, no, no I did not scour ten thousand sources to ensure that this is one hundred percent authentic. If you are Libyan and this is not how your grandma made it, please cut me a little slack:


Libyan Lentil Salad

-2 Cups Lentils
-2-3 Cups water or stock
-1 Medium Onion chopped
-2 Bay Leaves
-2-3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
-2-3 Cloves Garlic -- finely chopped
-Peel of one lemon
-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
-Dash Cinnamon
-1 Teaspoon ground cumin
-2 Teaspoons coriander
-Salt And Pepper
-Green olives

Saute olive oil, onions and half the garlic until soft. Pour in lentils, bay leaves, spices, and enough water to cover. Cook for thirty minutes or until tender. Drain the lentils, and then add the remaining ingredients including the other half of the garlic. Garnish with green onions, yogurt, or cheese as you choose. The recipe for the soup is here. Both were quite tasty, and I would definitely make them again.

No comments: