Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thinking of Thanksgiving

Today in school everyone is feeling pretty antsy and excited about the upcoming holiday. In an attempt to salvage some of their attention, and to honor the holiday itself, I asked the kids to do a writing activity about thankfulness. They were to write a list of 100 things they were thankful for in no particular order. I showed my own list as an example, and I reminded them to be creative and think of all five senses. I also encouraged them not just to include the obvious entries like friends and family, but to also think about the small things that make life good. We agreed to try and think about the "nooks and crannies" of daily life as well as the other stuff. Here is a sampling of my list:

1. Soft white snow
2. Red leaves in autumn
3. Sunday newspapers
4. Music
5. Flannel PJ's
6. Great books
7. All kinds of pie
8. A good job
9. Disneyland
10. Thai food
11. Mt. Rainier
12. The library
13. Tea!
14. Vacations
15. Raspberries
16. The smell of fresh-cut grass
17. The beach
18. Camping
19. Jeans and tennies
20 Family and friends

No comments: