Wednesday, May 02, 2007

"Corruption of Blood" and Other Fun Legal Terms

Recently my class studied the constitution of Washington State. We were reading the "rights" amendments and translating them into "everyday" language. The kids were really getting into the activity, and we were humming along nicely for the first few sections. However, as we went on, some of the terminology became an issue. What is Habeas Corpus anyway? What are "emoluments"? What do they mean "by due process of the law" (hopefully we all know that one already) Section 8 was quite confusing:

SECTION 8 IRREVOCABLE PRIVILEGE, FRANCHISE OR IMMUNITY PROHIBITED. No law granting irrevocably any privilege, franchise or immunity, shall be passed by the legislature.

Then came the part that really threw them for a loop:

SECTION 15 CONVICTIONS, EFFECT OF. No conviction shall work corruption of blood, nor forfeiture of estate.

Wow! Who knew that the Washington State Constitution was so full of blood and gore! I think many of them were imagining demon blood or some sort of horrible infection. They were kind of disappointed when I told them what it really means. This lesson was so full of teachable moments that I couldn't possibly address them all. I love the fact that kids really do get excited, I mean really excited, about civics when you point out the impact it has on them. The blood and gore don't hurt either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh! that sounds such fun, I wish I was in your class