Thursday, May 10, 2007

In Spring We Lose Our Minds

The sun has come out in beautiful force this week. It's nice to wake up with it streaming through the windows, the sunrises and sets are lovely, and I really enjoy a good walk when it's like this. However, the sun also has (pardon me for this) a dark side. All the brains in all the kids' heads quietly leak out their ears.

They run in the halls, they scream at one another, they have major girl dramas (not my term, but very apt) in the bathrooms. They also take even less responsibility than usual for themselves and their learning. Now, I enjoy seeing kids be happy and excited about spring, but I do not enjoy the excuses for laziness and lack of responsibility.

Yesterday I warned three different kids that they were in danger of failing due to missing work. All three looked very solemn, and then tried quite hard to convince me that they had actually turned in said work. Perhaps if this had been the first time missing something I might have given them some leeway, but these three are, shall we say, frequent flyers. Usually, when I remind them of something missing, they just stare at the floor. This time, however, they were feeling feisty. "No Miss L, I'm sure I turned that in." Another one tried a different tack, "Jordan SAW me turn it in so I know I did it." Given that Jordan is another frequent flyer, I didn't give this argument much weight either.

Two of the three eventually found the missing work (what do you know!) in the trashcans they call lockers. The third one did not. I took several minutes to find copies of the missing work and explain things to him. He took the packet, looked up at me with his big brown eyes and said "Are you sure YOU didn't lose it Miss L?" Must...Not...Scream...At...Children! Only seven weeks left! Only seven weeks left!

No comments: