Monday, January 14, 2008

New Hampshire 2008

Okay, so I am a little late on this one. It's been a busy week. Nevertheless, the results from the New Hampshire presidential primary were both interesting and exciting. Analysts had actually started calling for Hillary Clinton's advisors to start looking for new jobs. Polls implied that Barack Obama would carry the state just like he did Iowa, but somehow this was not the case at all when it actually came time to vote. There has been much speculation about the reason or reasons for this upset. Everything from the power of Clinton's "machine" to her teary-eyed confession that campaigning is tough to the froggy condition of Obama's voice have been put forward as a cause for the change. In the end, it's impossible to say for sure.

I find that I am finally starting to lean towards one candidate instead of the other. I'm still deeply concerned about the electibility of both, but given that they are our choices, I have to make up my mind somehow. Here is my thinking so far. Everybody keeps going on about the Democratic contest being one of experience versus change. That seems accurate to me since she is a true D.C. insider while he is not even a one term senator. He looks good, he speaks very well, and I have no doubt that he is quite intelligent. However, he has very little government experience on the federal level. Now some people see this as a great asset, but I am not so sure.

It seems to me that we are currently in rather a large mess. I know many people would say that this is eternally the case, but I really do thing that we're even more in the drink than usual. I would like to elect someone who is capable of cleaning up successfully (please no jokes here about how women are good at cleaning). In this case, experience is a good thing. I want someone who will recover our international reputation, pay real attention to environmental concerns, and KILL KILL KILL the No Child Left Behind Act. Having watched or read several of the debates, I feel far more confident about Hillary Clinton's ability to deliver on these and many other issues. Besides, think of who her main advisor is likely to be! I like Obama, and I think he may make a great candidate, but he's just not there yet. Vote Clinton in 2008.

No comments: