Friday, December 18, 2009

Needless Markup Christmas

Not long ago, a town near ours acquired a new store. Normally this would not be such a big deal, but the store that opened its doors only a short drive from our house is Neiman Marcus (or Needless Markup as my brother likes to call it). Now don't get me wrong, I would never actually set foot in such a silly place (I have an allergy to certain kinds of conspicuous consumption). However, driving by recently made me remember the existence of said store. I had to do an internet search to see if my prejudice would be confirmed. I was NOT disappointed.

Here is a sampling of some of the "indulgences" offered by the gift section. Were I to win the lottery, my friends and family could suddenly find themselves getting much more exciting gifts! For example, I could buy my brother a $2200 folding bike, or perhaps my mom needs a $3500 cashmere robe? I'm sure my Auntie D. would just love a $4800 elephant clock. Have these people not heard of the "new modesty?" Or perhaps this IS their version of restraint. Maybe the fur trimmed cashmere cloak is meant to make up for the fact that you aren't getting a new Beemer?

No comments: