M and I had the misfortune to watch a holiday decorating program on TV the other day. The premise of the show was that two professional designers would offer tips in between segments of viewer suggestions. I thought it might inspire us to do a little holiday decorating of our own, but I should have known better. All we did was laugh and groan during the entire thing. Here's a helpful list of wonderful decorating ideas:
1. Instead of a real tree, make one out of pillow stuffing.
2. Instead of a real tree, make one entirely out of teddy bears
3. Instead of a real tree, cover a Styrofoam spike with candy using a hot glue gun.
4. Instead of a real tree, hand a branch upside down from your ceiling
5. Instead of a real tree make a green triangle on the wall using strings of lights
6. Get an old metal gate, hand it on your door, use it to hang all your Christmas cards
7. On a bare table-top make an "arrangement" of branches and candles. Light candles. One assumes you then have to buy a new table when finished.
8. Cover every inch of mantle with ribbons and bows such that you cannot actually have a fire.
9. Fill your bathtub past the top with mounds of round glass ornaments.
10. Make a ten foot high Star of David, and use it as the entry way to your party. Also, make a menorah costume for you (the host) to wear.