Saturday, November 12, 2005

Pride and Prejudice

Tonight we saw the new movie version! http://www.prideandprejudicemovie.net/splash.html
I would pretty much watch any adaptation of a Jane Austen story just on the off chance that it might be appealing, and, while this one does have its annoying moments, it was not bad overall. I think most of us who are big fans of the story would agree that the BBC version is about as good as it gets, but just to see another director's take is interesting. First, the casting of the main characters was not as good in the movie. However, some of the supporting characters are reasonably satisfying. Jane and Bingley are perfectly sweet and vapid, and the Bennet parents are very good as well. The big treat was Dame Judy Dench as Lady Catherine, but you almost felt she was wasted on such a small part. There were several gratuitous moments though where the director clearly felt that we were not smart enough to reach our own conclusions about what was playing out. By the later scenes you are starting to get pretty tired of this, and when Mr. Darcy goes striding accross the misty field with his shirt undone I had the urge to giggle instead of swoon. Don't even get me started on the music and the sunrise. Still, it was fun to watch. I felt a little manipulated into liking the last scene, but I liked it nonetheless. I would watch this again when it shows on TV, but I won't curl up with it on a regular basis like I do the BBC version.

No comments: