Monday, December 05, 2005

A Picture at Last

Finally I got the chance to get some of the pictures off of the camera. This is a shot of the house taken last Thursday at the height of the snow. We actually got accumulation of about two inches or so. It was definatley enough to blanket the yard and sidewalks. It even caused some trouble on the road. If you have a Subaru or some other sensible vehicle, there was no problem at all. However, if you happen to have a silly car like me, you were in for some trouble. I had to park my car accross the street, go inside and find the one rake that we own, rake some of the snow off the driveway, open the garage door, turn my car around, and make a dash up the slope of the driveway. As it was, there was some slipping, but I did manage to get into the garage without taking off mirrors or paint. Once my car was safe and sound inside, I really did not want to take it out again soon.

I put on my hiking boots and big puffy coat over my school clothes, and I went outside to enjoy the scenery. I just love the quiet of a snowy day and the crunch of shoes on new snow. As I was standing in the yard, taking pictures and enjoying the scene, my friend arrived unexpectedly. She was in the neighborhood anyway, so she thought she would stop by. It was such a treat to have her visit AND the snow still falling outside. Pleasant things that are unexpected are often much sweeter than those that you plan.

That night it was still snowing on and off, so I just thought I would have to stay home from the dinner we had planned at our friends' house. Missing dinner was the only thing about that day that dampened my spirits. Then, when I sent out the email to say I couldn't make it, both the friends and Mark offered to come and pick me up. I was so touched, it's not a short trip, that both would be so willing to go out of their way. Mark ended up coming home early to pick me up (he is so sweet) and we had a great time at dinner. By the time we left for home at 11:00, it was easy to tell from the roads that we were probably not going to have school the next day. Sure enough I got a call at 5:00am, and it was another wonderful, unexpected treat.

No comments: