Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Vote Now!

I know many readers are out of state and many more have already voted. However, if you're in Washington, and you still plan to vote at the polls today, you should get out there and do it now. My school is a polling place, and when I arrived at 6:45 this morning, it was a madhouse. In all the elections I've seen here (this is my third presidential) it's never been like this. The parking lots were overflowing, and people were parking on sidewalks and bus lanes.

However, those must have been the people rushing to make it to work. Right now, the voters are coming and going at a steady clip, but the lines are not bad at all. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that no one is waiting more than 15 or 20 minutes. Nevertheless, I plan to flee by 3pm to avoid the post-work rush. If you're thinking of leaving work at 5pm and heading down to the polls, be sure you bring your dinner and a book because this could get ugly.

The political science part of me is still happy to see this happen. Granted, it took both national and international calamity to get people to sit up and take notice, but still it's good to have so many voters involved. Perhaps if more lazy liberals had done something last time, we wouldn't be in this mess now. Happy voting!

No comments: