Monday, March 29, 2010

Ravel Startles Baby

A few days ago, M and I joined several of our friends for a symphony performance in Seattle. The first half of the show was a lovely version of Brahms "Double" Concerto. Most of that piece was soft, sweet, and, well, very much what I would expect of Brahms. The baby did not hardly move during this piece.

After the intermission, we moved on to Ravel’s Daphnis et ChloĆ©. I can't say I know Ravel very well, but from my experience, he tends to be much louder and more, ahem, exciting than Brahms. This piece was no exception with a full choir and a wide array of percussionists including a man to turn the "wind" machine. This music was LOUD, and the very first crash of cymbals made the baby jump in my tum. She continued to move quite a bit through the rest of the performance. I don't know if this means she loves Brahms and hates Ravel, or perhaps it is the other way around? I will have to test this out after she is born.

No comments: